Natural hair has moved a notch higher from what it was years back. Our mothers simply washed the hair and applied pomade. Today, however, there are many treatments and hairstyles for naturals, calling for their TLC.
Naturals, thus can’t live without hair oil. Not just any oil but natural oils that boost the health of natural hair.
Here are the oils:
1. Avocado oil: This oil is made from avocado. It is an effective moisturiser for dry, brittle, damaged hair. It contains vitamins A, B, D, and E, which are great for the hair. Its protein, amino acids, iron, copper, magnesium, and folic acid prevents hair damage.
The amino acids promote healthy cell growth to maintain/restore scalp health while the vitamins protect the scalp and feed the hair follicles. Its fatty acids make hair feel soft and boosts shine. It is also great for deep conditioning. You can add avocado oil to shampoo, use it as a deep treatment, or as a sealant.
2. Olive oil: This is a great conditioner that thickens hair too. Its level of penetration into the hair is better than other oils. Its light weight makes it great for moisturising. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that keep the scalp healthy and prevent dandruff. It also has high levels of mono-unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E essential for hair growth. Its antioxidants help fight hair loss.
3. Coconut oil: This oil is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral since it contains lauric acid. It thus prevents hair loss, dandruff, promotes growth, moisturises, thickens and strengthens hair. It has been proven to prevent protein loss in hair. Hair has high protein content that keep it strong. Whenever you wash it, you lose a little protein. Deep condition your hair with coconut oil to avoid this and also minimise breakage. The oil is great for hair shine.
4. Jojoba oil: It is a great moisturiser and healing hair conditioner. Its molecular structure is similar to the natural oil (sebum) produced by the sebaceous glands of the scalp. Extremely damaged hair or one that tangles easily responds well to Jojoba. It has a long shelf life and can be stored for years without going stale.
5. Castor oil: The oil is great for moisture and hair loss. It coats the hair shaft and makes the cuticle layer smooth, sealing in moisture and leaving the hair soft and silky. Its humectant property allows it to draw in moisture. You can thus use it as a daily moisturiser. It thickens hair, promotes growth, prevents thinning, reduces split ends, tames frizz, and prevents scalp infections.
6. Aloe Vera oil: This is a great hair growth stimulant. It is rich in enzymes, vitamins, proteins and minerals that support hair health. It helps maintain proper moisture balance and stimulates blood circulation in the scalp, which is helpful for hair growth. It clears dandruff and soothes psoriasis and eczema of the scalp.